Our Oral Health Assessment is a consultation designed to get a complete diagnosis of your child’s mouth, teeth and gum condition as well as the aesthetics of their face and smile.
This is much more than a dental exam. It is a complete oral health and smile assessment, including:
- facial and smile aesthetics
- gum and bone health diagnosis
- teeth examination to find any existing or potential problems
- health risk analysis for prevention of cavities and gum disease
During this oral assessment we will take:
- digital pictures of the face, mouth & smile
- digital x-rays of teeth & bone
- a plaque check test
- a saliva test (to establish the pH and levels of bacteria in the mouth)
After creating a treatment plan, we invite you back to discuss your child’s treatment options.
When permanent teeth first come into the mouth they are at risk for tooth decay, so we use sealants to protect them. The most common teeth sealed are molars. These molar teeth arrive about 6 years of age and often have deep grooves on the chewing surfaces. Tooth brushing cannot clean these grooves properly. The sealant sticks to the tooth, so that food cannot collect in the deep molar grooves. This prevents them from decaying.
Fluoride provides extra protection against tooth decay when used in addition to brushing. Fluoride varnish is a pale yellow gel that sets quickly when applied to children’s teeth using a soft brush. The varnish sets quickly, has a pleasant taste and a fruity smell. Your child should be offered fluoride varnish application at least twice yearly.